2003 marks the 15th anniversary of the AS/400 (now called the iSeries), so we thought we'd take a look back and see how it's changed over the years. How much do you know about the iSeries and its early beginnings? Take our quiz and find out.
How to take the quiz:
After reading the question, write down the letter of your answer choice on scrap paper. Check your answers by using the answer key at the end of the quiz.
1. When the AS/400 was introduced in June 1988, how many processor models were there?
2. When IBM introduced the AS/400, it touted its superior performance over the System/36 and the System 38 computers. What kind of performance did the AS/400 offer over the System/36?
a. 5 times the performance
b. 7 times the performance
c. 8 times the performance
d. 10 times the performance
3. Approximately how many applications were available for the AS/400 when the first one shipped in 1988?
4. What year was IBM's Rochester, Minn., plant completed?
5. The 250,000th AS/400 was sold in 1994 to which company?
a. Coca-Cola Co.
b. Pepsi-Cola Co.
c. Dr Pepper/Seven-Up, Inc.
d. National Beverage Corp.
6. During 1998, IBM says it sold an AS/400 to a customer every
a. 5 minutes of every workday
b. 8 minutes of every workday
c. 10 minutes of every workday
d. 12 minutes of every workday
7. When was the relational database included in OS/400 branded DB2 UDB?
a. December 1997
b. February 1998
c. June 1998
d. February 1999
8. What year was native Lotus Domino for the AS/400 announced?
9. In what year was the AS/400 renamed the eServer iSeries?
10. Today, how many operating system environments can be run simultaneously from a single iSeries server?
Bonus question: OS/400 was the first operating system to be certified Year 2000-ready by the ITAA. What year was this and which versions of the operating system?
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY
Be sure to take these other quizzes:
Quiz #1: Help Desk Basics
Quiz #2: Security Basics
Quiz #3: Data Storage
Quiz #4: Networking Hardware
Quiz #5: Getting Your Message Across the Network
Quiz #6: Servers
Quiz #7: Protocols
Quiz #8: Database Basics
Quiz #9: Wireless
Quiz #10: TCP/IP
Quiz #11: Ego-Booster
Quiz #12: Database II
Quiz #13: AS/400
Quiz #14: Peripherals
Quiz #15: HP
Quiz #16: Web Management Basics
Quiz #17: DSL
Quiz #18: Do you know me? You should!
Quiz #19: Artificial Intelligence
Quiz #20: Cryptography
Quiz #21: We're Going to the Zoo!
Quiz #22: Web Site Performance
Quiz #23: Firewalls
Quiz #24: Web Services
Quiz #25: Security
Quiz #26: Storage Smarts
Quiz #27: Security Awareness for End-users
Quiz #28: Ethernet
Quiz #29: iSeries (AS/400) Commands
Quiz #30: Troubleshooting
Quiz #31: Laptops
Quiz #32: Securing your network
Quiz #33: Logic Chips
Quiz #34: Workstations
Quiz #35: Common Vulnerabilities
Quiz #36: Linux Basics
Quiz #37: Customers and Call Centers
Quiz #38: Wireless Standards and Protocols
Quiz #39: iSeries (AS/400) History (you're on this quiz now)
1. b, Six models
2. a, 5 times the performance
3. c, 2,500
4. c, 1958
5. a, Coca-Cola Co.
6. d, Every 12 minutes of every workday
7. d, February 1999
8. b, 1998
9. c, 2000
10. c, 4 -- OS/400, Unix, Windows NT/2000, Linux
Bonus question answer: 1996, V3R2 and V3R7
Let us know how you did and suggest a topic for a future quiz! email@example.com