Linux is sort of like the little engine that could. Despite what some call seemingly insurmountable odds, it keeps...
making gains in the enterprise. How much do you know about Linux? Our quiz will tell.
How to take the quiz:
- After reading the question, click on the answer that you think is correct to go to the whatis.com definition. If the answer you've chosen is correct, you will see the question text (exactly or approximately) somewhere in the definition.
- After reading the question, write down the letter of your answer choice on scrap paper. Check your answers by using the answer key at the end of the quiz.
4. This approach to building a supercomputer often incorporates the Linux OS as a way to lower cost and increase vendor independency.
b. ring network
c. collaborative authoring
5. This popular text editor created by Richard Stallman provides typed commands and special key combinations that let you add, delete, insert, and otherwise manipulate words, letters, lines, and other units of text.
b. text on nine keys
e. command line interface
7. This network file system is a popular freeware program that allows end users to access and use files, printers, and other commonly shared resources on a company's intranet or on the Internet.
8. The client/server relationship is reversed in this open, cross-platform system for managing a windowed GUI in a distributed network.
a. Distributed interNet Applications Architecture
b. Open Systems Interconnection
d. reverse Telnet
e. X Window System
10. This is a script language and interpreter that is freely available and used primarily on Linux Web servers as an alternative to Microsoft's Active Server Page (ASP)technology.
e. CRON script
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY
Be sure to take these other quizzes:
Quiz #1: Help Desk Basics
Quiz #2: Security Basics
Quiz #3: Data Storage
Quiz #4: Networking Hardware
Quiz #5: Getting Your Message Across the Network
Quiz #6: Servers
Quiz #7: Protocols
Quiz #8: Database Basics
Quiz #9: Wireless
Quiz #10: TCP/IP
Quiz #11: Ego-Booster
Quiz #12: Database II
Quiz #13: AS/400
Quiz #14: Peripherals
Quiz #15: HP
Quiz #16: Web Management Basics
Quiz #17: DSL
Quiz #18: Do you know me? You should!
Quiz #19: Artificial Intelligence
Quiz #20: Cryptography
Quiz #21: We're Going to the Zoo!
Quiz #22: Web Site Performance
Quiz #23: Firewalls
Quiz #24: Web Services
Quiz #25: Security
Quiz #26: Storage Smarts
Quiz #27: Security Awareness for End-users
Quiz #28: Ethernet
Quiz #29: iSeries (AS/400) Commands
Quiz #30: Troubleshooting
Quiz #31: Laptops
Quiz #32: Securing your network
Quiz #33: Logic Chips
Quiz #34: Workstations
Quiz #35: Common Vulnerabilities
Quiz #36: Linux Basics (you're on this quiz now)
1c; 2a; 3d; 4a; 5c; 6e; 7a; 8e; 9b; 10a
Let us know how you did and suggest a topic for a future quiz! firstname.lastname@example.org