ZapThink examines Web services, content management
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
XML and Web services research firm ZapThink LLC, based in Waltham, Mass., has released a new report highlighting how XML is impacting the content management market.
ZapThink's "XML in the Content Lifecycle" report examines how current ad-hoc content management processes are moving toward models where content is componentized using XML, and then turned into "services" that are discoverable on the network. According to the report, the primary challenge in the enterprise for producers of content -- information that is intended for human consumption -- is content reuse: the ability to integrate content from disparate sources.
"Content processes are currently where distributed computing applications were in the mid-1980's," said Ronald Schmelzer, senior analyst at ZapThink. "Content today is frequently out of context, hard to reuse, constantly changing with multiple versions in multiple languages, and insecure. Content solutions that leverage XML promise to improve the economics of working with content considerably." * remove serial comma?
The 60-page report will be available through ZapThink's Web site for $995.
CLICK for ZapThink's Web site
Vordel CTO pens book on Web services security
Mark O'Neill, chief technical officer for Web services security company Vordel Ltd., in Dublin, Ireland, is one of the authors of "Web Services Security," a new book from McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media that illustrates the need for secure Web services and examines the various security standards that exist for securing Web Services.
Explaining details on Web services architecture, SOAP, UDDI, WSDL, WS-Security, XML Signature, XML Encryption, SAML, XACML, and XKMS, the book illustrates implementation techniques as well as case studies featuring global service-provision initiatives such as the Liberty Alliance Project.
Other topics covered in the book include deployments, WS-Security and the GXA roadmap, including WS-SecureConversation and WS-Policy, using XKMS for validation and accountability, ensuring data integrity and confidentiality using XML Signature and XML Encryption and SAML and XACML for single sign-on authentication and authorization.
The book is available for $49.99 through McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media's Web site.
CLICK for McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media's Web site
Kinzan updates Web services suite
Kinzan, a Carlsbad, Calif.-based provider of enterprise Web services software, has announced general availability of version 2.5 of its Adaptive Web Services Suite.
The new version provides Kinzan's customers and partners with the ability to create a broader range of service-based applications through support for ebXML, the globally accepted standard for conducting electronic business between companies. By incorporating ebXML support, AWSS 2.5 enables the creation of both simple request and respond services using Web services standards such as SOAP, WSDL and UDDI as well as more complex transactional services using the security and reliability features of ebXML.
It also enables customers and partners to deploy those applications to a wider variety of server environments through support for Apache Tomcat in addition to IBM WebSphere and BEA WebLogic.
CLICK for Kinzan's Web site
Iron Speed freshens its app generation software
Mountain View, Calif.-based software development tools maker Iron Speed has released an upgraded version of its application generation software product, Iron Speed Designer, version 1.3. The new release introduces user interface page generation features that allow developers to generate full-featured Web applications, even if they have no experience building .NET applications or writing SQL queries.
The release is designed to accelerate application development by generating up to 80% of a Web application, including the Web-based user interface, workflow processes, SQL queries and transaction management code, freeing developers to focus on the remaining 20% of their application that is unique.
CLICK for Iron Speed's Web site
To include your news in the next edition of Quick Takes, e-mail News Editor Eric B. Parizo at firstname.lastname@example.org.