How could we live without our friends at the help desk? End users everywhere rely on their problem-solving skills...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
and patience ? especially when we have mysterious PEBKAS (problem exists between keyboard and seat) errors. Our first self-study quiz tests some basic computer and Internet terminology and is dedicated to help desk representatives everywhere.
How to take the quiz:
After reading the question, click on the answer that you think is correct to go to the whatis.com definition. If the answer you've chosen is correct, you will see the question text or an approximation of it somewhere in the definition.
After reading the question, write down the letter of your answer choice on scrap paper. Check your answers by using the answer key at the end of the quiz.
1. This is the basic Internet program that lets you verify that a particular Internet address exists and can accept requests.
a. universal resource locator
d. resource reservation protocol
e. bandwidth test
5. This is a collection of small programs, any of which can be called when needed by a larger program that is running in the computer.
b. legacy application
e. dynamic link library
6. This is the place in a computer where the operating system, application programs, and data in current use are kept so that they can be quickly reached by the computer's processor.
b. random access memory
c. access control list
d. management information base
e. system tray
9. This is the device, or in some cases, software in a computer, that determines the next network point to which a packet is forwarded toward its destination.
a. bit map
10. This is a set of related programs, located at a network gateway server, that protects the resources of a private network from users from other networks.
a. secure socket shell
c. general protection fault
d. logic gate
e. private key
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY
If you already know you scored 100% and would like to reinforce your feelings of superiority, be sure to reward yourself by visiting Samuel Stoddard's collection of help desk horror stories!
If you need to review the basics, you may wish to follow our Learning Path: Basic Computer Concepts.
Be sure to take:
Quiz #1: Help Desk Basics (you're on this quiz now)
Quiz #2: Security Basics
Quiz #3: Data Storage
Quiz #4: Networking Hardware
Quiz #5: Getting Your Message Across the Network
Quiz #6: Servers
Quiz #7: Protocols
Quiz #8: Database Basics
Quiz #9: Wireless
Quiz #10: TCP/IP
Quiz #11: Ego-Booster
Quiz #12: Database II
Quiz #13: AS/400
ANSWER KEY: 1c - 2a - 3d - 4a - 5e - 6b - 7c - 8e - 9b - 10b
Let us know how you did and suggest a topic for a future quiz! firstname.lastname@example.org